Tag Archives: camp shelter

My Bicycle Camper: the Pedal-Inn

Let me start off by saying that this was just quickly scrapped together, I’m still working on the tow bar, and the wheels need to be moved back for it to tow properly. Plus I’m not done working on the inside. So there will eventually be more!

017

The over all length is 7′. The first 4′ it is 2′ wide, 38″ at the highest and 33″at the lowest. The last 3′ is 22″ wide by 26″ high. The two window are each 8″x15″ and are scavenged plexiglass. When warmer weather arrives I’ll have to make some modifications so they open and add screens. The black vertical and horizontal lines you see are seams taped with gorilla tape. Like I said, this was made from scraps, ideally it wouldn’t have all those seams, but I have to tell you it is much stronger than I thought it would be! It’s seen some rain and a few inches of icy snow in its week of existence and is holding up fine and leak proof! It probably weighs 20-30lbs, I just know when my friend helped me carry it out the house (where it was put together) we both said “Wow! At least it’s light!!”.

020

If I was working and not so broke I could make it so the rear section slid in like a drawer for travel.

023

Front shot. The walls are made of 1″ dow tuff r insulation board.

026

Rear. You can see the back two legs, which are just some steel tubing pressure fit into wood blocks. Give them a little wiggle with no weight on the rear and they pull out. It has four more legs, scavenged from an old folding table…so to be clear they fold up =)

025

Close up of the door.

028

Under that blue sleeping bag is a smaller sleeping bag for insulation, below that is reflectix, basically bubble wrap with a reflective foil on it. You can see 2 of the 3 strips of dow to help weather proof the door.

029

030

It’s a shame that wire coat hangers are harder and harder to come by, they’re almost as valuable as duct tape or MacGyver’s army knife!

032

033

This shelf is the roof of the rear section, and perfect for holding the contents of my pockets and my trusty lantern.

035

That alcohol heater, on it’s lowest setting, keeps it 70 degrees when it’s 20-30 outside, and raises it to that temperature within 10 minutes! Behind the heater I punched 4 small vent holes so it would not burn my oxygen. That block you see buy the door on the left is what the clothes hanger door latch latches on.

I’m pretty proud of the Pedal-Inn, it works better than I hoped for being something made from scraps and in haste. It could be better. All in time. I can’t wait to finish my motorless home, and to make more versions of it and smaller campers like this!

Advertisements

Bicycle Camper Pre-blog

I’m currently out of work, and don’t know when I’ll have the money to finish my motorless home. I know some of you have been waiting patiently to see it, and I apologize that it’s taking so long. I promise you that someday it will be finished. I already have several ideas for different bicycle campers, all of which have solid walls. Tents on platforms are LAME.

I’ve been bored and itching to make something, pining over the camper, so I decided to use scraps leftover from the motorless home to make a small camper. It took me two days, and part of today, but I’ve got it made. I slept in it last night, and while it’s a bit cramped, I loved it! It was about 30 degrees out last night, but with my alcohol heater on the lowest setting it was 70 inside! I also did some cooking with the Nomad, and had to prop the door open as it was over 80 degrees! I’ll sleep in it tonight with a candle heater, maybe a new one, and see how that works out. There are a couple of things I’d like to add to the camper, so once that’s done I’ll post a real blog and some pics, probably tomorrow.

Pics and blog HERE

Tripi

It wasn’t too cold last night, about 28 F, but I wish it had been colder. And I really don’t like the cold. I spent about four hours out there, nice and toasty, having a fire and staying out of the breeze in this:

The aptly named Tripi

The Tripi or tripod tipi. It took about 3 mins to set the tripod up, using 8′ firring strips and some cheap rope. It took about 2 mins to duct taped the tarp (old 4’x8′ that was laying around) to the tripod and stake the two ends in the ground. Taping consists of a single, small piece at the top of the tarp at the apex of the tripod. Stakes were kindling sticks, the flaps created by them help to encompass me and draw in heat from the fire.

Propane tank fire pit

Side view

It took a little experimenting to get the height of the “ceiling” right, and the tripods positioned just so, but all in all it was rather spacious, comfy, and warm.

A new monster is born, I sense a growing fascination with tarp shelters!